...that Grandma (and probably the whole clan!) was laughing at us (me) for complaining that the kitchen is taking a month to be finished because theirs took 6 months. I'm sure Uncle Bob and Aunt Jackie have some stories of waiting and working too that make ours pale in comparison.
I just want to say that while "yes" I am complaining...I am still very, very grateful for all that is happening around here. It's just all new to me. We're never even experienced this sort of thing in the states to compare it to.
The floors and walls are finished and Joel's been painting the past couple days. He's pretty tired at this point. We "think" the plumber and electrician are coming back on Monday to finish up their work and then the cabinets are going to be installed on Nov. 5 or 6th.
We were set for them to be installed on this coming Thursday and Friday, but forgot that there are two holidays in Slovenia on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Day of Reformation and the Day of the Dead. Thursday is the Day of the Dead and everybody! goes to the cemetery and puts candles on the graves of their relatives. It's a Catholic holiday, maybe Grandma did that in France when she was younger. It's a big deal here.
All the stores are selling grave decorations, candles and silk flowers. The other day I was at a store and a lady behind me was buying a beautiful (what I thought) table centerpiece made out of pine tree branches, pine cones, red beads and a candle in the middle. I thought, "oh, that's nice, but isn't it a bit early to buy a Christmas table centerpiece?!" And then I saw them advertised a couple days later as grave decorations. Oops! Wouldn't that have been a cultural blunder to have it on my table when neighbors come over for coffee?!
No comments:
Post a Comment